You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Rent and mortgage

Support available which could help with your rent or mortgage.

Housing costs

You could get help to pay your rent if you're unemployed, on a low income or getting benefits:

If you're under pension age

Universal Credit and housing costs

If you're pension age or over

Check if you can claim Housing Benefit 

Renter's rights

If you are a private tenant, the law protects you and it's important to keep up to date with your renting rights. This will allow you to feel more confident in challenging poor or illegal practices if a situation arises.

Find out more about your renting rights

Can you get help with rent?

You can use an independent benefits calculator to check if you can help with your rent.

Check if you can get help with your rent

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and cannot afford your rent you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Check if you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

Help from mortgage lenders (Mortgage Charter)

If you’re having problems with your mortgage you could get help from you lender if they’ve signed up to the ‘Mortgage Charter’. It includes help with high interest rates and repayment problems.

Read more about the Mortgage Charter

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

If you're a homeowner and getting certain benefits you could get help towards interest payments on your mortgage.

Check if you can get SMI

Housing advice

Shelter Scotland offers housing advice to everyone whether you're homeless or you own your home.

Get housing advice from Shelter Scotland

Home Owners’ Support Fund

If you're at risk of having your home repossessed, the Home Owners' Support Fund may be able to help you.

Read more about the Home Owners’ Support Fund

Back to top