You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Debt and money

If you're worried about money or how to deal with debt, you're not alone. Anyone can find themselves overwhelmed by financial worries, but there's support and advice available to help you. 

A person sits surrounded by bills.

Get help with debt

Scottish Government supports different organisations who can give you free debt advice and information. 

Check where you can get help with debt

Budgeting Loan

If you get certain benefits you could get an interest-free loan to pay for things like a washing machine, advance rent or moving house.

Check if you can get a Budgeting Loan

Affordable borrowing

You could borrow money from a community lender who may have lower interest rates, if you need a loan.

Find out more about community lenders

Help to save

If you get Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit, a Help to Save account could earn you a 50p bonus for every £1 you save.

Find out more about Help to Save

Money Talk Team

If you’re struggling to make your money last, are worried about your bills or need help managing debt, the Money Talk Team Service can help. You can:

Go to the Money Talk Team website
Phone: 0800 028 1456.
Set up a meeting at your local Citizen Advice Scotland bureaux


Marriage Allowance

You could transfer £1,260 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner to reduce their tax.

Check how to claim Marriage Allowance

Back to top