You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Family benefits and payments

Family benefits, payments and support you can get.

Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods

You could get payments from Social Security Scotland to help towards the costs of being pregnant or looking after a child.

Check if you can get Best Start Grant or Best Start Foods

Scottish Child Payment

If you're on a low income, you could get a weekly payment of £26.70 for every child you look after under 16 years old.

Check if you can get Scottish Child Payment

Child Benefit

You could get Child Benefit if you're responsible for a child under 16 (or under 20 and in approved education and training).

Check if you can get Child Benefit

Young Patients Family Fund

You could claim for the costs of food and travel if you're the parent, carer or sibling of a young inpatient getting hospital care.

Read more about the Young Patients Family Fund

Guardian's Allowance

You could get Guardian’s Allowance if you’re bringing up a child whose parents have died. You may also get it if there’s one surviving parent.

Read more about Guardian's Allowance

Family Fund

If you’re raising a disabled or seriously ill child on a low income, Family Fund might be able to help with a grant for essential items.

Read more about Family Fund

Child maintenance

When one parent does not live with their child they must pay child maintenance even if they do not see them.

Read more about child maintenance

Parental Employability Support Fund

The fund can give support for parents facing barriers in their careers. Support could include help getting qualifications, improving skills and work experience.

Read more about the Parental Employability Support Fund

Under 22s free bus pass

All young people under 22 can get a free bus pass.

Check how to apply for an under 22s bus pass

Child Trust Fund

The Child Trust Fund is now closed. But someone born between 1 September 2002 and 2 January 2011 can still find their account.

Find a Child Trust Fund

Money Talk Team

If you’re struggling to make your money last, are worried about your bills or need help managing debt, the Money Talk Team Service can help. You can:

Go to the Money Talk Team website
Phone: 0800 028 1456.
Set up a meeting at your local Citizen Advice Scotland bureaux

Back to top